For this Pen of the Avatar, Isaac Oster gave a very cool demo of Zbrush and what it takes to create characters for Shroud of the Avatar. There was a lot of explanation of how the items are created, the poly count, how reflections are created, breaking down the RGB channels to create different effects and a few examples of how armor is put together and what things you need to keep in mind to make it work with different character classes.
Honestly, there was so much information it was hard to keep up. Suffice it to say, it takes years worth of experience and experimentation to hone the craft.
We got a glimpse of the female fighter model and a couple of quick renders of the completed product.
It was a very informative time and shows just how much time goes into making the characters and the types of hurdles the designers and developers need to overcome to make the game work.
More brilliant musings about my adventures in New Britannia
- Pen of the Avatar with Stephen Daniele–Female Ranged Fighter
- The Making of a Female Avatar, The "Double Down on Community" Mission, the $10,000 Challenge of the Avatar, and More!
- What is Experience Worth?
- Pen of the Avatar – DarkStarr Moon Dial in Tribute to Starr Long
- Shroud of the Avatar – Top 10 Priorities for Launch
- Private Developer Forums, Amazon Payments, & New Team Members!
- Founder Homes and the Female Avatar
- Pen of the Avatar with Stephen Daniele – 7/30/2013 – Female Ranged Fighter
- Some parting shots for Release 6
- Dev Hangout 4-12-2013 – And the Winners Are??