It’s been a LONG time since I wrote anything about Shroud of the Avatar. In fact, it was Release 1 back in December of 2013 where we got our first look at what New Britannia would look like and catch a glimpse of what the game had to offer. That first Release was a small demo that allowed us to walk around the makings of the first town and talk to a couple of NPCs. There wasn’t much to do, but the game looked good and showed a ton of potential as to what the game would become.
Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to play Release 2 or 3 as I had to work both of those weekends. It’s hard to jump in and play Shroud of the Avatar when you have to be at work at 6am.
But I’m free this weekend and am anxious to see all the work that’s been done since I last logged in. In fact, the first order of business is to run the update and see if all the new bits come down. For Release 1 the initial install was incredibly slow. It took several hours to get the game downloaded and running. Hopefully things will be a bit better this time around, but considering I haven’t updated in several months, I’m going to start the update and just walk away. Either way I should be good to go to play through the weekend.
As I mentioned, the initial release was pretty small, but Release 4 looks pretty comprehensive. We now have multiplayer, lots of new crafting recipes, simple combat, quests, some loot and plenty of performance optimization.
I’m really looking forward to updating my old install and jumping into this new version. It’s been way to long since I’ve had the chance to walk around and really get a sense of how this game is coming together.
More brilliant musings about my adventures in New Britannia
- Shroud of the Avatar on Steam and new Solace Bridge Quest for Release 11
- It’s a Shroud of the Avatar Weekend – Release 10 is Coming
- Shroud of the Avatar – Release 1
- The opening volley for Release 10 has gone incredibly poorly
- Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues Six Month Progress Video
- Updates – 4 BotA Chapters Left, Extended Monthly Payments
- Founder Homes and the Female Avatar
- A round of applause for the Devs!
- Some parting thoughts over Shroud of the Avatar Release 11
- Stephen Daniele with Markee Dragon