Well, alas my time in Shroud of the Avatar has come to an end for this release. And I was just getting used to having the game around. I’m anxious for the day when the game is up and running on a more permanent basis, even if it was just single player offline.
But anyway, that was a pretty good time. I was starting to get the hang of things and my favorite part of the game is the conversation system. It has some flaws and the characters don’t always know what I’m talking about, but overall I’m glad we’re going with this style rather than the single-sided dialog of other games. It has it’s place, but I think this interactive conversation style will suit Shroud of the Avatar far better. It is funny that getting the conversation started can be a little awkward. You have to lead with topics like the name of the town, asking the name of the person you’re talking to, and trying a few random thoughts just to see where things go. It takes a little time to get into the right mindset, but after speaking to a few people it all starts to make sense again and you have a decent chance of getting useful information.
One frustrating part was trying to find Lord Mayor in Kingsport. I was in the right building three different times, but neither of the merchants or anyone else would tell me he was upstairs. In fact, they wanted to send me down the road and kept saying the building I wanted was next to the Inn. Curse you! Why you sending me on a wild goose chase when the guy I want, who I mention by name, is literally right above me.
It’s going to be a long month waiting for the next release.
More brilliant musings about my adventures in New Britannia
- Mayor Byron – Putting the Crooked into Crooked Shank
- Shroud of the Avatar Release 4 – March 27-30
- Shroud of the avatar Release 4 Notes and Thoughts
- Looking for news of Shroud of the Avatar from E3?
- Getting my quest journal started in OneNote
- The Grand Tour of Release 11
- There apparently were quests in Release 5, I just didn’t find them
- Wondering about the SotA story? Progress has been made! Dev Hangout for 4/30 will feature Tracy Hickman and Richard Garriott talking about the story
- Community Resources and Destinations for Shroud of the Avatar
- Shroud of the Avatar Release 8 – The PvP Edition