Since Release 12 is just around the corner I wondered what we should expect for this release. Without really meaning to, I stumbled onto this post from Starr Long about their planned inclusions for each release. There’s a fair bit, but some of the main things include new monsters, our pledges (and rewards) will be tied to our accounts, the use of Banks to store items and if all goes according to plan, the overworld map can have the chance of pulling you into a combat scene. And according to the list, The Necropolis (one of the quests for Ardoris) should make an appearance. That’s certainly something to look forward to, but we’ll probably need to get a few levels under our belts before heading out there. It’s the city of the undead, so combat will be a heavy priority.
Also, from the latest Update, there is a new clothing item, the Steampunk hat awarded to all backers as a thank you for going over the $5m mark. That’s quite a few funds raised. Impressive milestone.
And finally, since the Holiday season is upon us, I decided to use the last couple dollars in my account to get the Yule Tree and the Cornucopia. Those will make some neat decorations for my house – if I actually get one. Worst case, I’ll find a nice Row House in Ardoris and do my best with the space.
RELEASE 12, November 20 – 26 2014 (and then 24/7 starting Dec 1) :
• Steam Prep: Uptime will expand to 7 days and we will conduct a Steam test with all our current backers followed by a launch on Steam Early Access Dec 1st.
• Maps: We will continue to expand the mainland scenes to include The Necropolis (the main underground Undead area in the game), The Graf Gem Mines surface area, and the Tower of the Shuttered Eye. We will also add the Desert biome to the game along with a desert scene.
• Character Advancement: The advancement system will expand to include Skill Trainers
• Spells & Skills: Life and Death Magic will expand to include more spells. The combat schools of Tactics and Polearms will also expand and more combos will be added to the game.
• Housing: Lot Deeds will be introduced to the game so property claiming will first require purchasing a lot deed in the game (just like house deeds worked in R10)
• Crafting: Crafting skills will start to come online and be used during crafting to modify results. We will also be adding more Cooking and Alchemy recipes and ingredients including the ability to put enchantments on gear.
• Creatures: Our creature list will continue to expand with Ghosts, Fauns, Emps and Wisps added to the game.
• Combat: The cover system will be introduced that modifies attack and defense values when you (or your target) are behind cover. The Death System (including ghosts) will come online and PVP will expand to include an Open PVP flag players can set on themselves. Ranged ammo types will now be linked to Ranged skills. So Piercing Shot will require Bodkin Points (armor piercing) for example.
• Customization: New armor and clothing items will appear in the game.
• Overworld: Traveling across the overland map will incur the chance that you might have a random encounter that pulls you into a scene. We will also release the first version of the overland map for Novia (aka the mainland).
• Guilds: Players will now be able to start forming Guilds in the game with basic functions like Guild Name, membership, and Guild Officers.
• Pledges Tied to Game Account: Your pledge will now be tied to your game account. This means you will start the game with your pledge rewards in your bank storage
• Banks: Players can now start storing things in the bank. This is also where all your pledge rewards will be at the start of the game so you won’t start so encumbered that you cannot move.
• Encumbrance: The weight of items will now factor into how much you can carry. Your carrying capacity will be derived from your Strength stat.
• Tutorials: Tutorial text will now start appearing the first time you attempt an interaction (moving, talking, crafting, fighting, questing, etc.)
More brilliant musings about my adventures in New Britannia
- New Tiers, New Levels, Stretch Goals and Release 6 Re-Opens
- Release 11 is coming and with comes some new areas and Rare Items
- Starr Long releases Early Public Access Schedule: Release 7 and Q3 Update
- Shroud of the Avatar on Steam and new Solace Bridge Quest for Release 11
- Some interesting upcoming events for Shroud of the Avatar
- Dev Hangout with Chris and B – Housing, Guilds, Crafting and Sandbox items
- Get Ready for Shroud of the Avatar Release 15 – With a Huge Content Update!
- Hangout of the Avatar 7-8-2013
- Final Day for the 15% Black Friday Bonus in the SotA Store
- Shroud of the Avatar gets the Green Light